NEWS & EVENTS
Hiring: Global Health Research Associate
Job Announcement | April 2019
About Metrics for Management
Metrics for Management (M4M) is a nonprofit organization, created with a vision to establish common metrics and the tools to apply them in order to enable governments and NGOs alike to measure what matters and better serve those in need. M4M designs, promotes, and standardizes performance measures in health service delivery to improve health outcomes and wellbeing in low- and middle- income countries (LMICs). We work to assure accurate and relevant data is collected, that common metrics are agreed on to measure performance, and that those metrics are widely disseminated and used. By building global consensus and through rigorous research, we develop easy-to-implement, easy-to-understand, real-time performance metrics to help managers assess and improve the performance of their own program, institution, facility, or district. We also provide in-country technical assistance to assist implementers in the application, adaptation, and development of performance measures to meet local program needs.
We are a small, but highly efficient, team. Our research team and this position is based in Baltimore, and our administrative team is based in Oakland. Joining a small team provides immediate opportunities for leadership, the chance to diversify your skill set by working on a variety of projects and even to propose your own innovations, the ability to quickly advance the work, and the potential to make a big impact.
Please visit our website at www.m4mgmt.org to learn more about our work and current projects.
Metrics for Management seeks a qualified Research Associate to support research and technical assistance activities under the direction of the Director of Research and Technical Assistance. The Research & Technical Assistance team conducts primary and secondary health services research, responds to inquiries from users of our existing portfolio of metrics, and supports the creation and adaptation of new health services metrics. The Research Associate will advance critical metric development, testing, and support initiatives that seek to improve the measurement, understanding, and delivery of health services. Current areas of focus are family planning, maternal, adolescent and child health, abortion, and health financing. All M4M team members are encouraged to propose new metric opportunities, as well as refinements and additions to our current metrics.
The successful candidate will have opportunities to publish articles, attend and present at international conferences, and use and learn a variety of quantitative and qualitative research and analysis techniques.
The Research Associate roles include:
- Lead the development of research protocols on topics such as health services quality, health financing, equity and access to health services under the direction of Director of Research, including study designs such as quasi-experimental studies, case-control studies or cross-sectional studies using primary or secondary data.
- On site management of research study implementation in LMICs, including setting up systems for data quality control, creating sampling frames and training data collectors.
- Design data analysis protocols, and conduct data analysis, including using techniques such as multivariate regression, hazard models, and principal components or factor analysis.
- Draft background papers, literature reviews and support proposal development.
- Engage in report writing, and presentations to report on research results.
- Provide critical and thoughtful input in inter-organization working groups to develop research tools responsive to stakeholder needs.
The qualified candidate will have the following credentials:
- Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, demography or a related field and 5 years of related professional experience, or a PhD.
- Experience participating in the design and implementation of population-based research studies and operations research. Preference for experience in a LMIC context.
- Subject matter experience in maternal, reproductive, or primary health care. Additional subject matter experience in areas such as health financing, noncommunicable diseases, HIV, or environmental health are welcomed.
- Strong capacity in data analysis and statistical analysis, including extensive knowledge of a statistical analysis program such as Stata, SPSS, or R. Demonstrated ability to independently learn new data analysis programs or techniques.
- Fluency in English. Other language abilities are beneficial.
- Excellent written, verbal and inter-personal communication skills.
- Outstanding time management skills; ability to negotiate complex and overlapping timelines and meet deadlines.
- Significant attention to detail; ability to hold self and others to high standards.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, flexible job environment and to handle multiple tasks and details simultaneously.
- Exercise sound and timely judgment and take initiative, action, and responsibility for project activities, as required.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Energy and enthusiasm to take on new responsibilities and grow with Metrics for Management.
- Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally up to 15% of the time.
Expected travel: Up to 15%
Metrics for Management offers highly subsidized health, vision, and dental insurance, plus a 3% contribution to your 403b retirement account. In addition, employees accrue up to 3 weeks of vacation each year. We also offer 10 holidays, as well as sick days.
To apply, please submit:
- cover letter
- contact information for three references
to Andrea Sprockett (email@example.com) with the subject line “Research Associate.”
Open until filled.